Sign in to follow this  
Adelaide Young

Addie's Entrance

She hadn't known what to expect.  The satyr who'd brought her to the camp had been pretty vague when describing what it was like, and had dashed away into the woods just as soon as they'd dropped her off at the camp's entrance.  Come to think of it, that satyr hadn't seemed very competent from the very beginning: Addie didn't know all that much about United States geography, but she knew it didn't take a whole week to go from one coast to the other, and they'd not gone even that far and the journey had taken them twice as long.  

Whatever, good riddance to the satyr.  Addie had other things to do than think about that stupid creature.  Like figure out where the hell she was supposed to be going.

There weren't really any signs to point out the right direction, but the big house nearby seemed like a decent place to start.  Picking up the few bags she'd brought with her, Addie marched confidently up to the door, ignoring the tiny seed of self-doubt that told her to try checking the rest of the area first.  She'd already decided on this plan, and before she knew it, her hand had moved on its own and was knocking at the door.  

Hopefully there'd be an answer.  And hopefully they were more competent than the stupid satyr had been.

Lilythe had just finished dusting the living room when she heard a knock on the door. Stowing the duster in her belt loop, she made her way to the door, knowing before she even opened it that there would be a new camper on the other side. Seasoned campers opened the door and waltzed right in, new campers knocked. As the door swung open, Lilythe gave the girl on the other side a bright smile. "Let me guess, a goat legged man dropped you off here and you're wondering what to do next?" Lilythe let out a chuckle. She knew this story, it'd happened a million times before. By now she was used to having to explain Camp Halfblood to new campers. "Come on in, let's get you warmed up. It's freezing out there!" Stepping aside to make room for the newest addition to the camp, Lilythe led the way to the living room.

"I'm Lilythe, the Cabin leader for the Hermes cabin here at Camp Halfblood. That may have sounded like gibberish to you just now, but I hope I can help you make sense of it." Taking a seat in one of the armchairs she gestured to the couch before her. There weren't any cookies or lemonade to be had right now, but Lilythe figured a comfy place to sit in a warm house was a nice start. "You probably have a million questions for me. Why don't we first start with your name and what the Satyr told you, and I'll fill in the gaps." Hermes was the god of travel, and as such his children were innately fond of travel themselves, but also very good about caring for those weary from travel. Lilythe figured it would be best to let the young girl before her tell her story so that she could express herself a bit before being overwhelmed with information. After all, nobody liked to be bombarded with information after a long trip. And judging by the state of the poor child before her, the trip had indeed been long.

Addie was honestly surprised when someone actually opened the door.  She was shocked speechless for a moment, only nodded as she followed the other girl into the house.  But as soon as the warm air hit her, she quickly found her voice again.

"Yeah, um, you guys really need to do something about that stupid satyr that brought me here?  They didn't even know the way?  I'm pretty sure we were on a bus to California for like three hours before they realized we were going in the complete wrong direction.  Not that I know where I am, really, but still?  Maybe don't use that guy anymore."   She followed the girl --Lilythe-- and plopped herself down on the couch as soon as it was offered, bags slumping to the floor.  

"But yeah, uh, my name's Addie by the way.  Adelaide Young.  I don't really know too much, only that like, my dad apparently wasn't my real dad?  Something about a god or whatever?  Honestly, that satyr is really shitty as his job, like no offense or anything." 

Lilythe chuckled at the girl's candor. She was very straightforward and Lilythe liked that. It was refreshing. "Well, sadly there isn't much I can do about the Satyrs. The Council of Cloven Elders are the ones that decide who goes where. I just help make sure the new campers get a warm welcome and a thorough explanation." She smiled softly at the girl in front of her. It had to be incredibly frustrating to be in that position. Though, she had to admit, if the biggest complaint was that she got a little lost along the way it hadn't been too bad. Especially with the high amount of monsters running around these days. "Just be glad that your trip didn't involve monster attacks. That's the usual story I hear." She chuckled.

It was a little disheartening that the Satyr hadn't explained anything to the girl. Lilythe would have to start from square one. Not always fun. "Okay, so let's start with the basics. The Greek Gods? They're real. And if you've been brought here that means one of them is your parent. The satyr gave you that much information apparently, but not much else. Right?" She waited on confirmation before continuing. "Right now I'm sure you have a million and one questions, so I'm going to start with the go-to answers. First, I don't know who your parent is. They have to claim you, and they usually do it in a super overt way so we can't mistake who the child belongs to. That being said, they like to take their sweet time about it so don't be surprised if it takes a day or two." New campers sometimes got discouraged when it didn't happen immediately. Lilythe liked to reassure them that the Gods weren't perfect and often made mistakes like waiting a few days to claim their kid. "Until you're claimed you can bunk in the Hermes Cabin. We have a tradition of hosting travelers, and those not yet claimed. Dad's the god of Travel after all, among other things." She smirked because the other things that Hermes was honored for were not always so charming. Thievery wasn't generally smiled upon anywhere you went. "As for this place? Camp Half Blood is a safe haven. I'm sure you've noticed that being a Half Blood comes with the terrible down side of monsters being able to pick up on your 'scent' so to speak. Camp Half Blood has a protection surrounding it that keeps the mist shrouding us from them and provides a haven for Half Bloods. This is your safest place to be until you learn how to defend yourself. Any questions so far?"

For once, Addie shut up and listened, trying to absorb as much information as she could.  She certainly had questions, but she bit her tongue until the other woman finished speaking before letting the floodgates open.

"Right, so if the Greek Gods are all real, does that mean the Christian God isn't?  Are the other Gods from different religions too?  Or do we just know about the Greek ones because they... what'd you call it, "claim us"?  Also, you said most other people get attacked by monsters on their trip here, so why wasn't I?  Are you guys sure that I'm one of these... Half Bloods?  Also, couldn't you guys come up with a better name? Half Blood seems kind of derogatory to me, honestly.  Half God sounds a lot cooler."  She took a gasp of air, all of her words having rushed out in a single breath.  She'd thought she had more questions in her, the whole thing was still terribly confusing, but nothing else of importance came to her concretely. 

"And uhm, this isn't like... real camping, right?  I mean there're cabins, but we don't have to like... cook around a fire all the time, do we?  There's like air conditioning and heat and running water?"  It was a stupid petty question, but as someone who'd spent most of her days in a comfortable apartment, Addie wasn't sure she could live under different conditions for too long.

Lilythe bit her lip as the girl started asking questions. Big questions. Right out the gate. She was inquisitive, that was for sure. "I don't know for certain what gods are all out there. I know for sure that the Greek and Roman ones are real... and they are literally the same people, but they used to kind of... shift personalities. It was complicated. It makes my head hurt thinking about it. But when they were around us, they were typically greek, and when they were around their Roman kids, they were typically Roman. But we got the Athena Parthenos returned so that fixed everything. I think..." She looked off into the distance for a moment as if trying to remember the series of events fully. Nodding to herself once she was sure she had gotten that right, Lilythe continued. "I know the Egyptian Gods are real, because there were some magicians that worked with an old camp member a while ago... and then there's rumor of a Norse  group of demigods, but I haven't encountered them. I... I suppose that's just a lot of ways to say that just because I haven't met the Christian God, doesn't mean he isn't real. I've actually met several Gods that I didn't know were real until we were face to face. Uh... you don't want to have to be face to face with them... if they come here, bad news is coming." Lilythe offered a friendly bit of warning to the new camper. Campers were often excited at the prospect of meeting their godly parent. She didn't want to set the kid up for failure by letting her expect that her parent would just show up at camp out of the blue and suddenly they'd have a bond. "I don't think we got to pick our name. We just kind of embraced what we were called. Another word for Halfblood is Demigod though, so you know. There's that. But we usually reserve that title for the real heroes that show up every once in a great while."

The last question made Lilythe chuckle. Not out of thinking it was silly, but rather because it was the easiest question she'd asked so far. "We have a Mess Hall that we eat in. Pretty good food too. Though, it's customary to save something to offer to your parent at the end of the meal. Insider tip? I send my dad half my bacon. He loves bacon. Find out what your parent loves and give them half. Never hurts to become the favorite child." She winked. Though, if one truly looked at her, they might notice a soft sadness in her eyes. Her father's last favorite child had been her old half-brother Luke, and that scar hadn't yet healed. "The cabins are super comfortable and honestly, you can get the Hephaestus kids to make anything you need comfort-wise... except a phone. Cell phones somehow amplify our signal to the monsters out there. And we don't need that sort of disaster here."

Addie listened, tilting her head every so often like a very interested puppy.  While far from a dog, at least she was somewhat interested in her new life.  

"So basically Gods exist, and they're just running around having sex with random humans for... fun?  But also we don't want to see them because that means bad things are happening.  Which, I mean, I guess makes sense, sure.  And also there's monsters that I somehow didn't get attacked by, and somehow cell phones make them find us.  Does that mean laptops too?  Because like, I need Netflix in my life.  But hey, at least there's cooked food, even if I have to share it with my rando God dad.  He can have my grapes.  I don't like grapes much, but apparently, everyone else in the world does. "  

She took a moment to breathe, finally take in her surroundings.  The house she was in seemed comfy enough, the couch certainly was.  If this was what the rest of her life was going to be life, it wouldn't be all that bad.

"So what's next then?  I go pick a bed in your cabin?  Wait for dad to come around and decide he wants to claim me?" 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this